Complete List of Recipes & Reflections

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Easy as Milk Pie... Galatopita


Galatopita (milk pie) straight out of the oven

This Greek dessert is one of my all-time favourites as it is not too sweet and very, very easy to make. Although similar in many ways to the dessert known as “Galaktoboureko”, this pie is not meant to be syrupy, nor does it require any phyllo for an outer shell as the mixture congeals and forms its own shell when cooked, as can be seen in the photo above.


To view the video recipe for this dish, click here.

Recipe:

5 cups of milk
1 cup fine semolina (also known as farina)
½ cup of butter
3 eggs
1 cup of sugar
Cinnamon


1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. On stovetop, bring milk almost to a boil in a saucepan, and then add butter, sugar and semolina making sure to stir continuously over the heat until a thick crème is formed, then turn off the heat and let stand for a couple minutes to cool slightly.
3. Beat the eggs and add them to the thickened mixture and incorporate them well with a whisk.
4. Butter/oil the sides and bottom of a pie dish or other high-walled oven pan and pour in the thickened mixture, then place in the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour until the top has browned (see picture), then turn off the oven but do not remove the pie for another 15 minutes.

Once the pie is removed from the oven, let it stand to cool for a couple hours and serve it topped with icing sugar/cinnamon.


Kali Orexi!

Sam Sotiropoulos
Greek Gourmand
http://www.greekgourmand.com

Copyright © 2008, Sam Sotiropoulos. All Rights Reserved.

17 comments:

Peter M said...

Sam, it's simple, it's rustic, unpretentious and not overly sweet.

A fine glyko!

Ivy said...

I love galatopita.

Maria V said...

this looks simple and nutritious for children - when i make it, i'll let you know what my kids think of it!

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Peter - "Rustic" is an excellent characterization!

Ivy - That makes two of us!

Maria - I eagerly await your kids' reaction!

Anonymous said...

I ve just made a Milk pie using your recipe. I am a fan of cinnamon))))) so just one change that I did is that after having buttered a baking pan I sprinkled cinnaman over it and only after that poured in the mixing. Then I sprinkled sugar mixed with cinnamon over a top and placed in the oven. Result went superb! irresistable!

Maureen said...

Sam, I am hoping that your semolina is just plain Cream of Wheat? I'm hoping..tho I can see me eating a whole pie of this.

Maryana said...

Great, Sam! I was just about to search for a suitable recipe for tomorrow evening. I guess your Galatopita will do - sounds and looks tasty.
Euxaristw.
Wra kali. Maryana

Maryana said...

Yesterday we devored Galatopita baked by your recipe, Sam.
I'd suggest to pour on the top some blueberries or vanilla sauce - it adds a nice flavour and a interesting colour too.
Euxaristw pali. Maryana

Talita said...

I wanna try this recipe, but I never seen semoline in the market. Can instead for another ingredient?
Looks so yummy and easy to prepare.

Anonymous said...

Sam, I'd like to make this next week for Easter. It's not crucial but...how do you serve this? Do you cut it in wedges like a pie or just spoon out a nice glob of it?
Fran

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Fran, here's the video recipe: http://greekgourmand.blogspot.com/2008/12/galatopita-milk-pie-video-recipe.html

Serve it sliced like a pie. The video has a couple suggestions for toppings as well.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Sam, I made this yesterday and served it with a little warmed up raspberry jam which I slightly diluted with a little water. It was out of this world. I did use a little nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla in the mixture before baking. It was scrumptious!! Thanks Sam. Kallo Paska!! Fran

Dazy said...

It's something new to me. Delicious looking and delicious tasting too and quite simple to make! I've never made this before. This is pure delight and I'm sure to make them again.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sam. I'm from Italy and I've tasted the galatopita in Athens (I think it was the version with phyllo pastry and honey). I want to make it but I don't know what you mean with "semoline", is it durum wheat? or tender wheat (in italian "farina di tipo 00" which is white and not light yellow as in the video)? Please, help me :) I liked it very much and I'd like to cook it.
Ciao
Francesca

Anonymous said...

Another question: for the eggs, only the yolks?
Francesca

Anonymous said...

what is semolina? could you be more specific. and where can we buy it in the USA. thanks!

i*Kan said...

Thanks so sharing the recipe! I loved galatopia when I had it in Greece recently and can't wait to make this! I included a link to your recipe on my blog. Cheers.