Complete List of Recipes & Reflections

Monday, June 16, 2008

Feta Fritters (Φέτα Τηγανίτες)


Feta fritters best served hot! - Click to Enlarge Image

This coming Wednesday, I will be doing a Greek cooking demonstration entitled “Things to Do with Feta Cheese” to an audience of some 20 people or so; this is one of the recipes that I will be presenting. Credit for the recipe goes to my Aunt Dimitra, who has been making these tasty little bites for as long as anyone in my family can remember. She has graciously allowed me to add this dainty to my repertoire of Greek food recipes and thereby make it my own. This little morsel is especially popular with the kiddies, and makes for a great appetizer or snack with some cold Retsina wine and a few Kalamata olives. The key to this recipe is to chill the fritter mix well before cooking to ensure cohesion throughout the frying.

Ingredients:

1 cup (250 ml.) good quality crumbled Greek feta cheese
2 lbs (1 kg.) potatoes
2 eggs, well-beaten
1 medium sized onion, finely diced
½ cup (125 ml.) dried bread crumbs
½ cup (125 ml.) Greek extra virgin olive oil

¼ cup (60 ml.) fresh dill, finely chopped
2 tbsp. (30 ml.) fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp. (15 ml.) dried Greek oregano
Fresh ground pepper
Flour
Lemon


  1. Peel potatoes, cut into quarters and boil in salted water until soft (approx. 20 minutes).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, mash potatoes thoroughly then add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the onion, dill, mint, oregano and breadcrumbs and mix well. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Then, add the feta cheese and the beaten eggs and mix until everything is well incorporated.
  3. Put bowl in freezer for 15 minutes to chill the mixture.
  4. Remove mixture from freezer, spoon out small portions of the mixture and roll them with your fingers into balls (about the size of ping pong balls). Place balls on a flat baking pan covered with wax paper and slightly flatten each ball into a little cake with your fingers.
  5. Roll each fritter in flour to cover completely, then place pan in freezer for another 5 minutes to firm the fritters before frying.
  6. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and start frying the fritters in batches over a medium-high heat for about 1 minute per side (until golden brown), use a small spatula or fork to turn them over in the pan.
  7. Clean pan between batches and use fresh oil for each frying.
  8. Sprinkle fritters with lemon juice and use some chopped fresh mint as a garnish and serve immediately.
Servings: Makes approximately 20 pieces.


Kali Orexi! (Bon Appetit)

Sam Sotiropoulos
Greek Gourmand™
http://www.greekgourmand.com
Greek Food Recipes and Reflections
Copyright © 2008, Sam Sotiropoulos. All Rights Reserved.

26 comments:

Lulu Barbarian said...

Sam, if it's not too impertinent, I'd like to ask what part of Greece (generally) your Aunt Dimitra is from. I'm trying to track down where mint and dill are used together rather than alternately. I keep getting different answers from Zoe's relatives in different regions. Don't answer this if you don't want to! :-)

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Lulu - IMPERTINENT!?!? Oh please Luluuuu... of course it's not impertinent! The bulk of my family is from the central Peloponnese, specifically the region of Arcadia. While we do have family members from other parts of Greece (i.e. through marriage), my Aunt D. is from Arcadia. Though to be honest, I am not sure the use of the two herbs in common can be traced to any specific Greek region... I have seen and used the combination in dishes like spanakopita, tzatziki, spanakorizo and so on... Though, if you do track down the source, i would be happy to learn about it! :-)

Elly said...

These look really delicious! Combining potatoes, feta and frying? Yup, can't go wrong there! (ps, I found you through Peter M's blog and am glad to find yet another great blog!)

deb said...

hmm. YUM. I love good authentic greek feta. I wish I could take my fork and reach in the screen to taste test. Again, I applaud your writing always a delight. Thanks Sam!

Peter M said...

Sam, I might just show up to get my sample of these lovely nibblies...I remember trying something like this last year but they were more rudimentary in flavour.

Lulu, I think it's more a matter of tastes varying from home to home. I've even had debates on ingredients within the family!

Peter G said...

I agree with Elly...fried cheese and potatoes are a great combo. perfect mezedaki. So your family hails from Arcadia?...mines from Laconia...we're neighbours!...lol

farida said...

What a great recipe, Sam! I love fritters, we make potato fritters, but not with cheese. This is one yummy recipe. I just printed it. Off to file in my binder:) THANK YOU!

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

These look really good, but aren't they heavy, especially in summer? If not, how do you prevent this?

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Elly - Thanks for dropping by, glad you found me through Peter M's blog. I have bookmarked your blog and will peruse it a little later on tonight. Comments will follow! :)

Deb - I know what you mean! I have felt the same way on many of the food blogs which I visit. There is a solution though... make them yourself! I am sure you will make them well as you are certainly no stranger to culinary matters. ;)

Peter M- I was sorry not to see you in the audience today, it was a pretty successful event on the whole. These feta fritters were quite popular.

Peter G - My wife's family is from Laconia, so we are more than just neighbours! Heck, we are practically family now!!! :)

Farida - You are most welcome! Enjoy them in good health.

Hank - In fact, they are not heavy at all... my wife characterized them as being quite light. I think the key is to avoid the temptation to deep fry them, just use a bare minimum of olive oil in the pan so the result is a light browning as opposed to an all out swimming-in-oil style frying.

Lore said...

Yay Feta!!! I really like your fritters Sam! Ok, I should be more accurate: I'm mad about your fritters Sam. Does that make me a kid? I sure am happy like a kid when I'm around Feta. Great tip on the chilling part.
A big hug for your aunt :)

David Hall said...

Absolutely mouthwatering!!!!!

Dhanggit said...

oh my goodness feta fritters, i could very well imagine the taste in my mouth! i love it!

Free Barbecue Recipes said...

Love the recipe, feta makes an interesting addition to potatoes. When you do your demo please don't forget the original greek salad - feta turns some simple vegetables into a really good chomp and it's a great accompaniment to any meal.

Kevin said...

Feta fritters sound great!

Deborah Dowd said...

I have never heard of feta fritters, bit I will give them a try- they sound delicious!!

Theogr said...

I like fried Feta and I think that Idea with potatoes is brilliant. I'll try it.

JC Rodriguez said...

Hi Sam, I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog so much, I've always been a fan of greek food, unfortunately here in the states, we only have Daphne's greek cafe, now thanks to your very organized blog I can make my own recipes.
Can you please teach us how to do tsatsiki sauce?

Thank U

fellow blogger, a lover of the hellenic culture


my blg http://greekthrumusic.blogspot.com/

Jackie said...

Those feta fritters look delicious! Just love Greek food - have a dear friend who is ALL Greek and a cook and I swear, he's made some of the best eats I've ever been fortunate enough to eat!

Laurie Constantino said...

Fried cheese? With potatoes? Sign me right up; these look yummy!!

deb said...

How was the demo? I'm making these for an early dinner served with tomato and olives. Perfect summer meal.

Natasha said...

I have some feta in the fridge just begging to be incorporated into your mouth-watering recipe! Great idea for dinner tomorrow.

David Hall said...

Two words - BLOODY GORGEOUS!

Love them.

Cheers
David

Yannis said...

my mum's side is from Kalamata, and they're insane in their usage of dill.

for whatever reason, i don't see mint used as much. i find it more prevalent in recipes moving East (Turkey, Lebanon).

Yannis
http://mylittlebaklava.blogspot.com

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Lore - I will pass along the hug! :)

David - Yes, "mouthwatering" would be a good way to describe them.

Dhanggit - give them a try, then you can put aside imagining the taste and dig right in! ;)

Free Barbecue Recipes - I did mention the Greek salad in the demos and I have to report that both demos went amazingly well!

Kevin - And they taste even better than they sound! :)

Deborah Dowd - Please do let us know how they turn out for you...

Theogr - By all means, please do try them out and let us know how you liked them!

JC Rodriguez - Welcome aboard! I hope you try all of my recipes and establish a whole new tradition of cooking for yourself and your family. I have never eaten at "Daphne's" as i live in Canada so i cannot comment on their food.

Jackie - then you are fortunate indeed, because well-prepared Greek food is simply a delight! Good eating!

Natasha - Welcome to the blog, and by all means, please do try the recipe and do let us know how it worked out! :-)

Laurie - yes, they were truly excellent, and I have "signed you up"!

deb - the demos were fantastic had about 20-25 people out for them and they were a big hit! Thanks for asking! I have several more lined up for August!

David - Glad to hear it!!!

Yannis - In point of fact, Greeks have been using mint in cooking for millenia, indeed, the word "mint" is of Greek origin and I dare say that mint usage in food is actually a very very Greek thing. Though today, mint is known as "dyosmos" for reasons that are explained in my earlier posting on mint entitled "Fresh As Mint", see:
http://greekgourmand.blogspot.com/2008/04/fresh-as-mint.html
BTW, welcome to my blog! Enjoy the rest of the offerings and do continue with your comments!

Rachel said...

Sam, this is a fantastic recipe. I tried it out the other night and served them on top of a salad and my family gobbled them up. I even blogged about it today to point people here to your excellent blog. Keep those yummy family recipes coming. And do thank Aunt Dimitra for me.

Shital said...

Hi Sam,
This is a wonderful food idea. I love fetta, but never know how to use them as they are very salty. I saw fried feta on Readt Steady Cook today and this receipe and I am keen to try this. I was wondering what if I do not use eggs.
Cheers