Complete List of Recipes & Reflections

Friday, January 9, 2009

Leek Pie - Prassopita (Πρασόπιτα)

An easy to make and very tasty traditional leek pie recipe from North Western Greece. If you like leeks, you will love this pie.

Straight from out of the oven. Click to Enlarge Image.

Leeks are my favourite seasonal vegetable this time of year. They have been an ingredient and seasoning in Greek food since the earliest times. Among the ancient Delphians, leeks were included in ritual offerings to Leto (mother of Apollo and Artemis) during their Theoxenia or “Banquet of the Gods” festival. It was believed that Leto had craved leeks while pregnant with the twins, thus a contest was instituted in her honour in which only the largest leeks were selected to be added to the offerings table. The producer whose leek(s) won the contest would be rewarded with a portion from the collected offerings. Leeks as thick around as radishes and turnips were reported. Interestingly, there appears to have been some kind of relationship between divine twins and leeks. For, it was also related that the ancient Athenians included leeks in their customary offerings to the Dioscuri.

A slice of prasópita anyone? Click to Enlarge image.

Today, Greek cuisine offers many variations on the use of leeks. They are included in everything from sausage stuffing to soups and stews, and are often baked into ‘pies’ or pites (pronounced “PEE-tess”) as we say in Greek. For those of you who do not relish the idea of making pites with phyllo pastry (cf. filo), this version will make your life easier, as well as add some excellent texture and flavour to your winter table.

Ingredients:

3 - 4 large leeks, sliced thinly (upper dark green stalks removed)
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups of milk
1 cup crumbled Greek feta cheese
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh green onion, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
Fresh-ground pepper
A pinch of salt

  1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the leeks for about 5 minutes, then add the fresh green onion and continue sautéing until both are soft and tender (another 3 minutes or so).
  2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs well then add the milk, feta cheese, flour, dill, oregano, salt and pepper and sautéed leeks and onions and mix well.
  3. Grease the sides of your pie dish/pan with some olive oil, pour the mixture to the dish/pan then bake for about1 hour in an oven pre-heated to 350°F (180° C).

Allow to cool before cutting. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

Personally, I prefer serving this on the following day to allow the flavours time to meld. I usually refrigerate the pie once it has cooled to room temperature and then cut and warm the slices as need.

Kali Orexi! (Bon Appétit),


Sam Sotiropoulos
Greek Gourmand™
http://www.greekgourmand.com
Greek Food Recipes and Reflections
Copyright © 2008, Sam Sotiropoulos. All Rights Reserved

44 comments:

Peter G said...

Sam, again you manage to showcase the simplicity behind everyday ingredients and transform them into beauty. This is so easy and def a real winner.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I'm always looking for recipes that can be main courses in a vegetarian meal. This one, and I'm bookmarking.

HoneyB said...

Looks delicious! I believe I could eat this any time of the day - meaning for breakfast....right now!

pigpigscorner said...

Looks delicious. I like leeks. I use them in soups and stews. A great recipe!

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks so much for your friend request on Foodbuzz! I can't believe we are not friends already, I admired your piece on Greek Hospital-ity so much. Congratulations on your little one and I'm glad we are officially friends now. I can't wait to read what else you put up.

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Peter - I am glad you think so, I still have one slice left over, shall I send it along? :-)

Lydia - It's not a strict vegetarian recipe as it does contain eggs, but if dairy is ok with you then you will enjoy this pie.

HoneyB - I had a piece for brekkie yesterday and it was yum! :-)

pigpigscorner - Oh yes, leeks are great in soups and stews too. Try this out and you will like it, I am sure.

Joie de vivre - Thank you for your kind words and thoughts! Yes, we are finally friends and it's never too late to make a good acquaintance. :-) I am looking forward to your postings as well!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks really delicious! This Pie makes a great meal!

Cheers,

Rosa

Daily Spud said...

I love how simple that is and how full of flavour it sounds. I also love getting that bit of historical background on leeks in Greece, so thanks for that too!

winestainedcloth said...

A beautiful presentation for leeks! I love a recipe that adapts to being a main course, side or even as an appetizer.

Cynthia said...

Hi Sam, it is such a pleasure to discover your blog and I cannot wait to explore more.

I have added your blog to my Blog roll and RSS feeds. Looking forward to visiting.

Darlene said...

What a gorgeous looking pie! I particularly like that there's no messing around with a crust!

heidileon said...

Sam, this recipe looks amazing! I will try it very, very soon. I love leeks and love, really love greek food!

Congratulations, you have a very nice blog with so many good recipes and nice pics. I'm glad we're know officially Foodbuzz friends!

ciao

Ivy said...

I've only made it with phyllo. Must try this one as well, it sounds delicious and I am sure we will like it.

ΕΛΕΝΑ said...

Sam, you know that we use to call these pies (without "fyllo") open pies. I like all open pies, so easy to make.
Your recipe is a very tasty one, I like leeks, I put them even in meat pies:))

Heidi / Savory Tv said...

Ah that looks wonderful, you really are making me miss Greektown in Detroit! Thanks for the recipe.

Jen said...

Wow this recipe looks so simple, I'm going to make it today! Yum!

Jen

Tiffany said...

I LOVE leeks. This looks so appetizing. I also love Greek food! I'll definitely have to try this soon!

Vera said...

Sam,
it's a great recipe, I'm going to make it today.
What size form did you use?

Pag said...

Have you every put dried mint in it?

Macarena said...

Dear Sam,
I've just cooked it. It's wonderful.Thank you for the recipe!

Who's Your Audience said...

I tried this recipe just last night with some leeks I had stashed in the fridge. I had to replace the scallions with red onion and didn't have the feta cheese. Instead, I used what was available - mozarella. It was still delicious although I think the feta would make it out of this world. This year we have promised one another that we would eat one vegetarian meal a week. Although this recipe does have eggs, we counted it as our main course for the first vegetarian meal of 2009. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

MrOrph said...

Sam, this looks excellent! We love leeks at our house. I think my all time favorite is potato-leek soup.

I'm gonna have to give this a try. How would you do this with phyllo?

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Rosa - Yes it does! I usually have it for lunch and sometimes even breakfast. Goes nice with a green salad.

Daily Spud - Hey, my pleasure! Oh, and it is so flavourful... try it!

winestainedcloth - Yes, it is a versatile dish, thanks for stopping by!

Cynthia - Hi! Thank you for the adds! I have added your EXCELLENT blog to my blogroll and RSS reader as well. It is my great pleasure to meet you! Wow, I am wondering why I had not found your blog sooner...

heidileon - Thank you so much Heidi! And I look forward to learning more about Mexican food (which I love) from your blog! :-)

Ivy - please do and let me know what you think! It is very popular with our guests and friends.

ΕΛΕΝΑ - thanks for that bit of information. :-) Yes, such pies are indeed very tasty!

Heidi / Savory Tv - Hey, you're welcome! Detroit, huh? I know there used to be a large Greektown there, I wonder if it still exists?

Jen - Yes, by all means! let us know how it turned out for you. :-)

Vera - Thanks! I used a 10 inch pie dish, but even a 9 inch should be fine.

Pag - Yes, I have tried adding mint and it works quite well.

Macarena - That's wonderful!! Thanks for reporting back. Nothing could please me more! :-)

Who's Your Audience - Great! Yes you can make various substitutions to the base recipe, but you really do have to try it with some feta and scallions, it is really a treat! Thanks for letting me know how it went! I really appreciate such feedback. :-)

MrOrph - Give this recipe a try and you may have a new leek fave! Seriously though, try it as is and don't bother complicating matters by wrapping it in phyllo, it's truly unnecessary. Let me know how it goes! :-)

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I love leeks too, this looks like a delicious pie, Sam!

Núria said...

This is my kind of dish Sam! I do love leeks :D. Easy, simple and flavory dishes like yours motivate my daily cooking!

Orce Serrano Hams said...

I am a big fan of leeks Sam, a very underrated veggie here in Spain, will be giving this recipe a go for sure. Many thanks.

Vera said...

I baked it!Turned out really great.Thank you very much.
My husband loved it too. We both like Greek cuisine, so I'm happy to discover your blog.I'm sure I'll cook many more tasty dishes from your collection.

Bits of Life 'n' Taste said...

This is lovely... delicious & love the pic...

Abigail said...

Oooh, I love leeks too and this looks absolutely excellent! Yummers. :)

Maria said...

I really love pites like this with no crusts or phyllo. I make one all the time with kolokythakia and even tried one with spinach but will definitely have to give this one a go.

starrybluesky said...

What an interesting blog - came across via Twitter. The leek pie looks delicious - will definitely try it , as leeks are already a favourite.
Also enjoyed your older post about Greek olive oil. As I have a sister in law married to a Greek olive farmer we have also become used to a "private supply" and get very sniffy if we have to buy some other run of the mill stuff when we run out. I have worked my way through many many other bottles but never found anything else as good.

Lore said...

Sam, this is the dream of any savoury addict! Looks so gorgeous and it holds so well together.

Laura said...

I want someone to make this for me. :)

Luxury Yacht Charter said...

I never tried Prasopita before, thanks for the recipe.

cheers
http://www.everyyachtcharter.com/

Selba said...

I wish I could find Greek restaurant here in Jakarta.

banglabou said...

I've already made this twice, once exactly as described and the next time I cut WAY back on the olive oil. (It was almost as good the second time.) The children love it and I gave a slice to my neighbor, who is Greek. She asked for the recipe!

Indonesia-Eats said...

Huh! you are really making me hungry, I haven't had my lunch yet

Indonesia-Eats said...

Anyway, thanks for your friend request on Foodbuzz!

Jo said...

Hi Sam, this looks great. I love leeks but have to try it in a pie.

Liza said...

I made this for dinner tonight. I admit that I only used a tablespoon of olive oil :), but it was fabulous just the same. Thanks for the great recipe!

David Hall said...

Great stuff Sam, like a take on a fritata but of course you Greeks do it so much better!

Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

Can we get a version with phyllo or puff pastry please?

Ricardo said...

Another beautiful pie cooked to perfection, I feel you are an ace...cheers!!

Nurit - 1 family. friendly. food. said...

Sounds sensational!