Complete List of Recipes & Reflections

Monday, May 31, 2010

Greek Food Festival Season

Get ready for another summer season of great Greek food and cultural entertainment, coming soon to a Greek festival near you!

Crowds milling about and lining up for grub at Taste of the Danforth 2009

Here in North America the summer is almost upon us, and the numerous Greek food festivals that accompany the fine weather are also spinning up. Whether organized by Greek Orthodox parish groups or local business associations, these festivals are always worthwhile events for foodies as the grub is plentiful, varied and reasonably priced. And the people watching opportunities are pretty good too...

What can you expect to taste, see and hear at a typical Greek food festival? Well, the menus usually include items like Spanakopita, Souvlaki, Tzatziki, Baklava, plus a whole bunch of less well-known regional Greek specialties. In addition to the nosh, you can also drink some Ouzo or sample a growing array of excellent Greek wines that are usually on offer. Accompanying the food and drink are the numerous traditional dance shows and musical ensembles which can aid digestion by getting one in the mood to dance. Just don't expect to be breaking any plates as they are usually made of paper or styrofoam, but you and your friends can always throw a few napkins about as you cavort.

As there is no central directory/catalogue for North American Greek food festivals, I thought it might be helpful to bring attention to the various events by opening up this blog to periodic festival announcements. So, if you are a festival organizer, participant or visitor who would like to spread the word about a particular Greek food fest, feel free to send me an email at greekgourmand(at)gmail.com and I will add you to our festival updates.

Looking forward to some great summer food fests, starting with this week:

34th annual Richmond Greek Food Festival

32nd annual Des Moines Greek Food Fair

New Jersey Greek Fest 2010


Pànta Kalà (Always Be Well),

Sam Sotiropoulos
Greek Gourmand™
http://www.greekgourmand.com
Greek Food Recipes and Reflections
Copyright © 2008, Sam Sotiropoulos. All Rights Reserved.

7 comments:

jessiev said...

YUM!! these look fantastic. i know dayton, ohio, has a greek festival with great food: http://www.daytongreekfestival.com/

love it!

David Hall said...

Hye Sam, long time no speak, how's life?
Cheers
David

Toronto Homes For Sale said...

I LOVE GREEK FOOD! I'm so happy to read of all these Greek food festivals, i only knew of the Taste of the Danforth, thanks Sam!

A.K. said...

I live in the Middle East and recently we had a pretty large Greek Food Festival which I absolutely loved. I can't wait for the next one. I think everyone who is interested in the Greek cuisine or trying out new foods should definitely check it out.

A small confession I would like to make. I have been a silent reader for a while, using your blog as a cheat sheet to impress my Greek boyfriend. His mother & grandmother are amazing cooks. I am pretty good as well, but feel nervous having never eaten Greek food before. Though I've found SO many similar foods between our cuisine and the Greek.

Anyway, since I am clueless about this cuisine, I keep searching online and wondering if the end result tastes like it should.

Your recipes are precise, and the smile on my boyfriend's face let's me know that I got it right. :D

And I would like to make a small suggestion. Why don't you introduce γεμιστά (yemista) to your readers? I don't eat meat so I make it meatless and I loved the tomatoes more than any other vegetable for that dish. Anyway, it's simple, quick and I am sure they would enjoy the taste. :)

Toronto Mortgage Broker said...

Fantastic food on the Danforth. Nothing says summer like the Greek Food Festival, awesome eats!

alutzu @ cornerparadise said...

very interesting...in my country have never seen anything like

Greek food online review said...

Greek food is the best food, healthy and tasty!